Privacy collection statement
October 31 2020
The information requested from you is required for:
- Assessing and processing membership applications;
- Assisting employers to meet their superannuation related obligations;
- Investing funds and administering a member's superannuation entitlements;
- Providing financial advice and information about superannuation, insurance, retirement planning and other services (including advice and information provided by our business partners);
- Assessing or calculating a member's entitlements or eligibility (including for early release or ongoing disability benefits);
- Informing or providing information to other persons in accordance with any written nomination or directions provided to ESSSuper;
- Paying and/or transferring superannuation benefits; and
- Undertaking research and other activities to enable us to improve the services we provide.
If ESSSuper cannot collect information from you, we may not be able to perform any or all of the abovementioned activities.
The types of organisations to which we usually disclose personal information generally include:
- A member's current or former employer;
- A member's spouse or partner, dependants and/or nominated beneficiaries;
- A member’s nominated third party authorities;
- Organisations that provide insurance or underwriting services to members who have or apply for insurance cover;
- Organisations (such as Link Advice Pty Ltd) that support our staff who provide financial advice to our members;
- Service providers and consultants, including mail-houses, direct marketing contractors and providers of IT, data storage and website hosting services;
- Health service providers including doctors and specialists;
- Victorian and Commonwealth Government agencies that have regulatory or oversight responsibilities in relation to ESSSuper or the schemes we administer;
- Courts or tribunals;
- Professional advisers, including lawyers, actuaries, auditors and consultants;
- Other service providers or financial institutions that a member may direct us to communicate with or make payment to (for example: health funds, utilities and telecommunications providers, banks, superannuation funds and trustee companies);
- Printers, mail-houses, postal and courier services; and
- Organisations engaged in superannuation related research and/or analysis.
You have the right to access and correct personal information. Requests to update personal information, or any queries relating to privacy should, in the first instance, be referred to the ESSSuper Member Service Centre:
||Emergency services members
1300 650 161
(8:30am to 5:00pm, Monday to Friday)
State super members
1300 655 476
(8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday to Friday)
Written queries and complaints should be addressed to the Privacy Officer:
||The Privacy Officer,
GPO Box 1974
Melbourne Victoria 3001
Requests for access to documents containing your personal information should be made through the Freedom of Information Act 1982, and should be addressed to the Freedom of Information Officer at the above address.
This statement is current from 28 June 2019.